Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thursday Thankfuls #4-Thanksgiving Style!!

So how cool is it that on my Thursday Thankful list, it also gets to be Thanksgiving! The day that people all over the country gather around tables and celebrate all of the blessings they have received!

Today, Brian's family gathered around my table, which was a special treat for me! I decided that since I'm hosting, I would cook the meal, Long Family style, just like my grandmother. Then Brian decided he wanted to roast a goose (random, I know, he's been talking about it for two years, he had to do it today!). So, all except goose, we had a San Antonio Thanksgiving! Everything turned out perfect, and we all ate too much! And to top it all off, the COWBOYS WON!! It is a good day! I hope that each and every one of you had a blessed holiday today, complete with good food, family and football! And so, without further ado, my Thanksgiving Day Thankful list.

1. Being sick. Brian and I both got really sick this weekend and have been feeling AWFUL all week. But the good part was that we got sick together! So we literally spent 5 straight days laying around and being together.

2. Kleenex. We ran out and had to use toliet paper and paper towels. Ouch. Enough Said.

3. Infertility. Seriously, you ask? And don't get me wrong. I would much rather be getting my little one ready for bed right now rather than typing about it. But my infertility has changed my life in so many ways. It has brought me into new relationships that I would not have had before. It has brought Brian and me closer together than we have ever been. It has taught me patience like nothing else could have. Waiting for my time of the month, waiting to test to ovulate, waiting to ovulate, waiting for my time of the month...for 24 straight months. And it has not been easy. But through this time of waiting and growing, God has brought me close. It has been in those moments of fear, desperation, extreme sadness and pain that I have cried out to God and he has met me there, calling out to me, "Further still, sweet one".

4. My Nanny. I love my Nanny for so many different reasons, she's loving, she's funny, she's always worried and wondering how everyone is doing (which is a lot of worrying since there's over 40 people in her immediate family). Nanny's also old school. She uses her dishwasher to STORE dishes, not wash them. She only washes things by hand. Which, after cooking for over 40 people, can add up to a lot of dishes. But she's always taught me about living simply and though doing things the hard way sometimes is a little slower, it gives you time to spend with each other (side by side, washing and drying, taking turns grinding ingredients by hand). I love watching her cook. She always gets really excited when she gets to cook for all of us and she's really good at it too. And it is from years of watching her cook and learning at her side, along with learning from my mom and all my aunts, I was able to cook most of the meal today from memory, something I thought I was incapable of doing.

5. My Jesus. When I think about what I was doing last year at this time, I realize I had no idea what was in store for me up ahead. The one thing that has not changed at all has been Christ. I am so thankful he lived and died on this Earth, and I'm so thankful for the special relationship we share that just gets better every day.

No comments: