Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Clean my Closet

I was reading in our book tonight from my Wednesday night Psalms of Ascent class. I came across I Peter 5:5-7 and it really called out to me.
"Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another because: God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxieties on him because he cares for you."
I feel like humility has always been something I've struggled with, I think most oldest children do. But this isn't just talking about being humble with others, but being most importantly, humble towards God. In doing so, I believe that God is actually more powerful and adept at solving my problems and handling my circumstances than I am. Though, he will lift me up in his due time, (which could be soon, or not until eternity), I am called to give my concerns, my cares, everything to him.
This is difficult to swallow for me because I feel like I've worked hard trying to iron out my future. I have plans. But, as in lots of things, my plans don't always seem to coincide with God's plans. It has been a humiliating process to gradually start handing things over to him. I'm still working on it. But I think the thing I've learned most of all is that God is actually big enough to take on everything of mine: the fabulous, the junk and everything in between.
It's like I'm this little kid that's been asked to clean out my closet. First of all, I would rather be playing outside or doing something fun, so I'm already upset I have to go through it at all. Second, there is some really gross stuff in my closet: old food wrappers, dirty clothes, who knows what that is in the corner over there....Third, there's some really great stuff in there I don't want to give away, stuff that even though I don't use it and it's not necessarily good for me, I'm so attached to it, I can't bear the thought to part with it.
But God's standing in the hallway knocking on my bedroom door with the trash bags, waiting to take everything from me. Ready to clean out this cluttered, dirty mess and give me a clean start.

No comments: