Friday, November 7, 2008

Thursday Thanksgivings (even tho it's Friday)

Thursdays are shaping up to be my favorite day. Not only are my most favorite shows on Thursday night, but at 10 in the morning I attend a ladies' Bible study with some of the girls in my class. It has been such a blessing learning from and getting to know all of these women. Penny, our group leader has been doing a series on how to pray, envisioning a garden of prayer with everything we could include. One of the parts of the garden is the Bridge of Appreciation.

This is where we turn to God and thank him for all of the blessings he is doing in our life.

I have heard it said to me so many times throughout the last couple of years that thanking God for his bountiful blessings will help turn my mourning into dancing. And it's true. I find myself able to be joyful when I can thank him for any little or big thing that is going on around me. And when I am not thanking him, I get so self-consumed with my own pain, I am not that great of a wife, a friend, a Christian, well you get the idea. So I have decided to set a goal and post at least 5 specific things every week I am grateful for. This is really for my own benefit to look back onto when I get weepy or selfish. But I hope that it encourages you to begin thinking about your blessings as well!

So here's my thankful list for yesterday!!

1. Brian: he took off today and is cooking me eggs with cheese and pancakes!
2. Cell phones: Wednesday was my birthday and I think I was on the phone for a good 6 hours, texting and talking to my loved ones.
3. Gas at $1.92 a gallon
4. My car and the ability to travel wherever and whenever I want to. Like today, we are leaving to spend the weekend in Austin with the Kennedys!!!
5. Chicken Madeira and Chocolate Coconut Cheesecake with my sister before a day of shopping and talking on my birthday

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Wow, Amy, I have a lot to say on this one! First, for the record, your new layout was my "favorite" that I mentioned in a previous post, but I decided to go with the stick-figure tree 'cause it reminded me of my kids. All that to say, I like your taste!

Second, I am so happy that you are settling in to the church in Granbury and are making friends with people who are impacting your life in such a positive way--not that I'm surprised. I think good people are just drawn to you! Your ladies' Bible class sounds wonderful and it's awesome that you are able to take the information offered and process it in such a meaningful way in your own life.

Finally, I love your weekly list of blessings! I've never felt prompted to do the same myself (don't really know why), but as we approach the one-year anniversary of our arrival at Woodland West, I have felt the strong draw to try to express in words the joy I have felt over the last 365 days (actually, I've felt this raw, pure joy for well over 365 days because Randy was offered the job on Sept. 30!). I'll probably be doing that over the next few weeks.

Okay, didn't mean to hijack the comments section! I just love reading your blog and how uplifted I feel after reading it. Love you!