Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why do bad things happen to good people?

It is always a really good day when I get home from work in time to watch the 5 o'clock episode of Friends on TBS. Today the episode was when they were in Barbados for Ross's convention that he was the keynote speaker for. You may remember, (or you may not care at all), that during these episodes, Joey and Charlie broke up, and as a result, Charlie hooked up with Ross and Joey hooked up with Rachel. When they got home from the trip, Rachel wanted to talk to Ross about hooking up with Joey. But Ross, opening his bag to take out a toy for Emma, realized that the 200 shampoo bottles that he took from the hotel, exploded over everything in his bag on the plane ride home. He started freaking out about this unfortunate incident. He was so obsessed with the ruined contents of his bag that he couldn't hear what Rachel was trying to talk to him about. He shouted out loud, "Why do bad things happen to good people?". At first, I was laughing at the sillyness of it all. Oh Ross, you are sooo overdramatic and you overemphasize every thing, big or small to be a huge ordeal. Really? You're going to be upset over shampoo bottles exploding over the bag when so much bad stuff is happening in this world? When hurricanes are destroying cities, stock markets are crashing, people are starving and I just miscarried the baby I've longed for for 2 years?

Then...ouch. I understand losing my baby that I've tried for 2 years to conceive is a sad, painful ordeal. But really, Amy? What makes your pain so much more significant than someone else's? How can I sit so pathetically by and assume that people should be trying to understand me, when I haven't been willing to look past my own pain to see that others are struggling in their own pain all around me? What makes me feel like I'm the only good person that is experiencing pain, hardships, hurt? Yes, infertility is an extremely difficult pain to experience, especially when you feel like everyone else is doing their part to keep the world populated while you just sit idly by. But others have lost children, lost jobs, houses, have been diagnosed with impossible diseases, have to care for parents, grandparents, siblings. Bad things happen to good people and I'm not the only good person bad things happen to.

Father help me. I can get so self-absorbed. So self-consumed with my own problems, with my own pain, with my own successes, that rarely do I take a minute to consider what's going on with others. I want so much to be Your child. To be someone that others look at and can see Your face. Help me to look beyond myself and see Your creation, Your children, YOU.

No comments: