Thursday, September 25, 2008

Today

Today started out a VERY difficult day. I was supposed to go in for my final exam to make sure the miscarriage had completed and my body was getting back to normal. I was already a little down because it was two weeks ago today that I lost my little one. And it was around today that I should have been scheduling my first sonogram to see my baby on the screen. But today, I went to the doctor to make sure my body was back to normal.
Instead, I waited at my doctor's office for an hour and a half. Not only that, but I waited in the waiting room with a bunch of other pregnant women and little babies. I've really felt a lot better about being around babies and pregnant women. I used to not be able to handle it, my jealousy would spin out of control. But now that I know I can get pregnant, and I've actually carried a baby in my tummy, I know what it feels like to be a mommy, even if it was just for a couple of short weeks. All that being said, I can handle 1-5, maybe even 5-10 pregnant women/teenie babies around me. Today was overload. For an hour and a half I sat in a super-crowded, standing-room only waiting room with mommies and babies. Meanwhile I was waiting for this doctor to mash on my tummy to make sure all my parts were back to normal after losing my baby.
After waiting the hour and a half, I finally got called back to the room. I changed clothes, had my blood pressure taken and was told to wait a few minutes. Once the doctor came in, the exam would be over shortly. I waited five minutes and the nurse came back in. She said my doctor got called to the hospital with two other patients and I would have to reschedule. But she would book the next appointment as an OB appointment, for pregnant women. In that case, I wouldn't have to wait as long, I would be in and out in no time. What?! You have that kind of appointment available? Why on earth would you make me sit here for an hour and a half, surrounded by cooing little babies, for an exam that would take less than five minutes, when you could have arranged this for me all along?
I stormed out of the office and was crying before I even hit pavement outside. The unfairness of it all shook me. I shouldn't be rescheduling my miscarriage pelvic exam for next Monday. I should be looking at my sweet baby on the screen with my husband next to me. I shouldn't be looking longingly at the strollers, carriers, bottles, socks on the floor, cries, smiles and coos of the babies in the waiting room. I should be rubbing my tummy and thinking fondly of the few short months I lack til that baby is in my arms.
Today just didn't seem fair.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Amy, I am so, so sorry you had to go through that episode. I wish I could take away your pain or ease the ache in your heart or just give you a hug. I pray that today is a better day!

Leilanni said...

I'm so sorry this was such a hard day. Hang in there dear.

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that one of Satan's best tools is having good things happen to other people. Please keep the faith and don't allow Satan to have a hold on you.