Saturday, June 28, 2008

Opportunity Camp

Today at Daybreak camp in California, around 100 kids have just left a week-long camp called Opportunity Camp. I've been involved on and off with Opp Camp for 10 years, in fact, camp is the reason I chose the career field I am in now. I went in high school for our mission trip, as a youth intern in college and then was blessed to bring my husband for two years. Opp camp takes kids that are referred by the Contra Costa County Child Services Department into the mountains. During this week, counselors and staff from all over the country dedicate a week of their life to not only teaching kids about Christ, but showing His unconditional love and acceptance to them. For some of these kiddos, it is the first time in their life that ANYONE has shown this kind of attention and acceptance to them. It is always a very difficult week, but a blessed one.

Brian and I were supposed to be there this year, but because I was having such a bad reaction to my medicine, I decided it was best I not go. And my sweet husband decided to stay home with me. This not only hurts because I want to be there with these kids, but it hurts because I'm missing seeing Brian be with these kids. Of all the church stuff and mission trips we've done together, this is my most favorite. I fell in love with Brian all over again, watching him step out of his comfort zone and see these kids look at this dorky white guy and ask him if they could go home with him. Here are some pictures of camp from last year.

Brian cheering with his cabin in circle time.


Destiny and me


Brian and his boys


My girls-Cabin 8!!

PS. Please pray for me today, I'm bummed out about missing camp, feeling kinda crappy and disappointed because today is another month with no baby in my belly...








1 comment:

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

I would LOVE to go back to camp!

I can't believe that you have posted 4 times already and I am JUST now finding out about your blog! :)

I want to see pics of your house! miss you!

Ashley